Thursday, August 24, 2006














BY WAY OF AN INTRODUCTION...

From January till June 2004, I travelled extensively through Israel and the occupied territories, researching for a play I had been commissioned to write about the Conflict by an agency of the State government of Rhineland-Palatinate (Germany). It was an extraordinary, deeply moving, at times very distressing experience, in which I gained wonderful friends on both sides of the Green Line, particularly in Israel, to which I have had longstanding ties, but also in Gaza and the West Bank. I learnt a lot from these friends and want to thank them here. They guided my wanderings and reflections, let me share in their knowledge and wisdom, and gave me priceless insights into their personal lives and the history of a region which has been suffocating under the sheer weight of its tragic history. I admire their energy, love of life and unquenchable thirst for peace. In the Middle-East, it looks like peace will come from the people rather than the rulers. This is a lengthy process, but an undefeatable one: no government can forever ignore the wish of civil populations.


2 Comments:

Blogger Gattina said...

I just discovered your blog and regret that I didn't before ! I like very much what you are writing and also think that people are always getting along better then governments ! It had been a big mistake at the very beginning of Israel, to give the jews a land in the middle of muslim lands. There were so many places in the world, why there ? It's like putting an electric wire in water.By the way Du sprichst sicher auch deutsch ?

5:51 AM  
Blogger Gattina said...

Fällt mir noch ein Du musst mehr Pub machen ! Geh durch die Blogs und hinterlasse Grüsse die Leute lesen Dein Profile, clicken auf den Blog und sind oder sind nicht interessiert. Gut ist auch Technorati und Blogflux (auf meinen Blogs) Mir hat auch jemand am Anfang geholfen,da ich nichts wusste. Viel Glück !

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home